Monday, April 27, 2009

I promised a post...

Tonight, I preached my first 'formal' sermon over Philippians 2:1-8. Such a wonderful passage to familiarize myself with over these last couple of months.. I received a DVD immediately upon completion in which the professor gave immediate feedback as I preached. It was pretty hilarious. Here are some fun things I learned about me in watching and hearing myself.

1) I have a ginormous "super-hero" brow. No one told me this and I'm really disappointed! I was a little startled by it. Eric (my brother) and I once made fun of a preacher in San Antonio for his giant brow. Oh Lord me too?? Why me??

2) Gosh I'm low energy. Seriously, light a fire under your arse Chris! Speed up a little bit. It won't hurt and maybe the pauses won't be so long.

3) Man, I'm still fat. If only I could drop a couple-a-20pnds, that would be awesome!

4) Ironically, I repeat myself so much but in my first sermon, I failed to do the most basic element of teaching--repeat myself! Well, for once--I didn't repeat myself. I don't know if this is personal growth or just bad luck.

5) I really am as funny as I think I am... : )

6) I stand in the "contrapposto" pose when I feel comfortable. Look it up Michaelangelo. I taught Evonne a new word!

7) My hands really are as big as I think they are--but why didn't my legs grow to match mom and dad?

8) I enjoy talking on stage. I like to teach and communicate and poke fun while I do it. I love making people laugh. Wait, I knew this one so it doesn't count.

8) I am now okay with listening to and watching myself on video. This is new. Usta kinda freak out at the thought of hearing myself speak but I've lost a lot of that 'critical' element. Praise Jesus. Maybe the stick has been officially removed from my butt.

Love you guys..

6 comments:

  1. Just how funny do you think you are?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. You know, I was watching the video going, "I can't believe people laugh at me. They were laughing a lot." It's surprising!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - I feel so loved! Thanks for the post. :) Can we see the video of you preaching when you are out here?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got your letter to your parents on my reader before it was taken down (I guess), and I just wanted to say I've had a similar if less intellectual discussion with my dad about legislating our beliefs; we had a total disconnect. We're talking about a Christian worldview and what that means practically in Sunday school, and I brought it up there, too. The general response was something like "Good question. I think we'll get to that later...."

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie--I'll probably repost that one. I love my parents a lot so I decided to take it off. Its difficult for me to criticize them so much any more. My dad gave the sermon in his congregation the other day and I resisted the urge to discuss his sermon further though I felt like aquila and priscilla with apollos. I have a lot of arguments with them and with others from their generation. Sorry, I just replied--for some reason, your response didn't make it to my email : (

    ReplyDelete